Springdale Education Center provides a unique academic experience for special needs and difficult learners and offers a wide range of up-to-date curriculum offerings from grades K -12 consistent with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks. Given our student’s often complex learning profiles, SEC draws from a multitude of learning formats and provides opportunities for our students to engage in a variety of educational experiences.
We provide instruction in the core subjects of Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, Science and Physical Education and all students at SEC participate in the mandatory Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS). In addition, we offer a variety of high interest, multi-disciplinary subjects such as visual arts instruction, music instruction, outdoor adventure, snowboarding, community based education, and computer instruction.
We provide a comprehensive school wide reading enrichment program and expose our students to local and state cultural events and activities. SEC also provides pre-vocational and vocational activities at the school. Students learn the responsibilities of community employment and are compensated accordingly. Our goals are to return students to their home district and a less restrictive setting whenever possible, graduate with a High School Diploma and learn life long skills which foster community living.
Springdale Education Center provides extensive case management and advocacy services for all students. Upon enrollment to the school, a case manager is assigned who follows all the needs of the student. Case managers work closely with parents and other providers to insure that communication between the school, home and other community environments is as seamless as possible. Case managers assist in advocating for and securing services that may be needed by the student.
- Provide instruction consistent with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks to facilitate academic achievement at the highest level possible.
- Provide students with educational, psycho-educational, clinical, pre-vocational and recreational activities to facilitate an increase in their repertoire of personal resources.
- Prepare students for successful completeion of MCAS testing
- Prepare students for reintegration to their home district whenever possible
- Prepare students with skills that facilitate successful community living
- Provide a variety of services to students and families which enhance positive mental health, positive family values and positive communication skills.
- Provide students with knowledge and skills to disrupt and replace anti-social, inappropriate and/or abusive coping responses and behavior patterns.
- Provide outreach, case management, advocacy, and clinical services to the families of Springdale Education Center students to maximize community safety and family stability.
Springdale Education Center provides a comprehensive clinical services department including individual psychotherapy by licensed clinicians, group therapy, psychoeducation groups 4 days per week, family therapy as needed, psychiatric consultation when possible, consistent nursing services, daily clinical check-ins, on-site clinician at all times for emergency services.
Some of the psyhcoeducation and speciality therapy groups offered include but are not limited to:
- pro-social skills development
- conflict resolution
- fire safety education /fire school
- cognitive restructuring
- substance abuse prevention
- violence prevention/anger management
- health and hygiene
- social pragmatics
- animal care
- healthy sexuality
Springdale Education Center is a highly structured setting designed to provide a safe learning environment for all students. SEC’s behavioral program consists of clear routines and limits as we promote prosocial behaviors, responsible decision-making and personal self-respect. We enforce a zero tolerance policy towards disrespectful, dangerous or anti-social behaviors and attitudes.
SEC’s behavioral component is rooted in cognitive-behavioral programming that teaches students to take responsibility for their actions. All staff, and students alike, are thoroughly trained in relapse prevention dynamics, thinking errors principles and the use of natural and logical consequences. SEC utilizes a state-of -the art de-escalation program to significantly reduce the need for physical restraint. SEC’s program has been highly effective in stabilizing disruptive behaviors.
Given the complex learning and emotional needs of our students, Springdale Education Center provides additional services to our students as directed by their Individualized Education Plans. We employ highly-qualified and licensed professionals. Our standard list of ancillary services includes:
- Guidance Counseling
- Speech and Language Assessments and Therapy
- Occupational Therapy Assessment and Therapy
- Physical Therapy Assessment and Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Psychological Assessment
- Psychiatric Consultation, Assessment and Services
- Continuous Nursing Services